Alvi’s Drift 221 Chenin Blanc

Alvi’s Drift 221 Chenin Blanc € 9.95
Brand: Alvi's Drift
Availability: In Stock
Ex Tax: € 8.22

Specification

Properties
Region Worcester
ABV 13,5%
Volume 0.75 liter
Grape variety Chenin Blanc

Description

The Alvi’s Drift 221 Chenin Blanc is a South-African Chenin Blanc from Alvi’s Drift. For this wine the ripe Chenin Blanc grapes are harvested early morning to guarantee the quality and freshness. They are destalked and lightly crushed followed by a fermentation with wild yeast. 60% of the juice ferments in French oak with a regular stir of the fine lee resulting in more complexity. It is blended with the other 40% which is adding freshness that marks the Alvi’s Drift wines. This Chenin Blanc has a pale straw yellow colour with aromas of nectarines, peaches, pear, apple blossom and vanilla. The palate is rich and coating with an elegant and creamy taste followed by a long finish. This wine pairs well with poultry, white meat and (goat) cheese.

Alvi’s Drift

Alvi is an abbreviation for Albertus Viljoen, the official first name of the owner of this South-African winery in Worcester. His friends call him Alvi and he’s the third generation following his grandfather in the wine business. Albertus Viljoen van de Merwe was a farmer in Worcester, a 2 hour drive from Capetown. His estate was located on two sides of the river Breede Rivier so he built a drift (African for bridge) in 1928 to get an easy access to both parts. Soon this bridge was called Alvi’s Drift which is now used by Alvi van der Merwe as the name for the wines they produce. The family business owns 420 hectares with vineyards as well as 4000 cows, 200.000 chickens and several citrus and peach orchards. Alvi’s younger brother Johan manages the farm whilst Alvi supervises the winery. The vineyards located in the Breede Rivier valley in the Worcester district contain 19 grape varieties. Together with his team of wine makers Alvi produces a variety of wines with international allure.

 

Reviews (0)

View Comments Write review

Write a rrreview

Your Name:

Your Review: Note: HTML is not translated!

Rating: Bad            Good

Enter the code in the box below: